We didn’t have to wait too long to test the earthen dam that we built to stop the flooding. A couple of weeks after building the dam, we had two days in a row of constant heavy rain (at least several inches per day).
Click through to see how the dam handled the heavy rain.
The dam broke!
About 1/4 of the dam on the south edge washed out and water and debris again poured out into the pastures.
The rest of the dam remained intact – although once there is a large section of the dam missing, the overall remaining functionality of 75% of a dam isn’t that great!
Here is the broken dam in the dry.
We are still formulating a plan for how to repair or replace the dam or what other steps we can take to divert the water.