We didn’t have to wait too long to test the earthen dam that we built to stop the flooding. A couple of weeks after building the dam, we had two days in a row of constant heavy rain (at least several inches per day).
The completed dam in the dry before the test.
Click through to see how the dam handled the heavy rain.
Following the earlier flooding, we decided to try to build a small dam to try to block the water, rocks, leaves and other debris from flooding out into the pastures.
Here is a reminder of what it looked like during the flooding with water and debris flowing out from the woods.
The creek flooding out into the pastures.
We stacked up the logs again in the water channel where it floods out of the woods. This time, instead of just stacks of logs, we put a metal post behind the logs and covered them with a couple feet of dirt and rocks. Hopefully the post and earthen dam will help keep the logs in place and divert the water and debris.
Close-up of the “dam” with metal post holding the logs in place.
Earlier this spring, we had a period of heavy rain combined with melting snow. This led to the increased volume of water over our waterfall.
However, it was too much water for the small creek bed to handle within its banks. The creek burst over its banks at the bottom of the mountain and flooded out into the pastures.
There was some minor flooding the prior year in the same location so I had attempted to block the channel that flooded with piles of logs from downed trees to divert the water away from the pastures. It didn’t work.
There was so much water that it simply pushed all of the logs out of the channel into the path behind the pastures. It even pushed some of the logs several hundred feet away.
The creek flooding out into the pastures.
The water also carried a lot of sticks, leaves, rocks and mud (also several golf balls!?). A lot of this debris was caught in the pasture fence. The debris blocked the bottom portion of the fence for at 3/4 of the way along the entire back fence line. In some places,the mud and leaves was more than 6 inches deep. Even with assistance from visitors, we haven’t been able to clear the entire fence line yet.
With a large snow storm late in the winter, there was a lot of snow that melted at once when the weather turned warmer. A large snow melt means that our waterfall would have a lot more water flowing over it than normal.
Here is the shot of the final approach to the waterfall.
Waterfall in the spring.
Here is a shot of the waterfall from the base of the falls.
Here is a video of the falls showing the increased water volume.
A few weeks ago, there was another large snow storm – we got over 30 inches in a couple days.
A picture of the house and main barn a few days after the storm.
We already had over 30 inches in a single storm early in the winter. With this latest storm, it pushed us over our annual average snowfall for the winter.
A panoramic view of the snow from the woods behind the pastures.
Another picture of the pastures from the woods.
Starting a few days after the storm, the temperature warmed up and the snow has been steadily melting since then. We are now down to just a few piles of snow near the driveway. This storm may have been the last significant measurable snow of the winter.
A panoramic shot of the pasture covered in snow.
The animals usually stay inside while it is snowing. The chickens also don’t like to walk on soft snow but they will walk on harder packed snow.
The goats don’t really seem to mind the snow on the ground once the storm stops and the sun comes out – here is a shot of the goats hanging out in the snow next to the barn.
I think we have just solved the mystery of the single old stone pillar in our front yard.
The pillar is well away from the corner of the driveway and isn’t near the corner of the property line either. It didn’t really seem to serve a clear purpose marking any boundaries.
In addition, the stone and brick pillar was falling apart due to the many years of freezing and thawing cycles throughout the winters. It probably wouldn’t have made it more than a couple of more years before completely collapsing. We decided to repair it last fall and redo the mortar and bricks that had broken off.
You can see the multiple colors of bricks in the photo where new bricks were used to replace old bricks that had crumbled apart.
The stone and brick pillar – after repairs.
A neighbor recently provided us with a pencil sketch from the 1950s or 60s that solves the mystery pillar!
Click through to see the sketch and solve the mystery.
Out in the country, traditional home defense products, like standard alarm systems, aren’t as effective because of the long distance and time before assistance can arrive. So, you have to go back to what worked in simpler times.
After some thought, we decided to build a moat around the house. Here are some pictures of the preparations for the moat going about 1/3 of the way around the house. It is approximately 10 feet wide and about 6 feet deep.
A view of the moat in progress.
Another view of the moat.
Another view of the moat with the backhoe.
Click through for more information about the moat.