As previously mentioned, we created some simple wildlife escape ramps for our water buckets to reduce both wildlife drowning deaths and reduce potential contamination risk for our animals.
Here are the step-by-step directions for creating a simple wildlife escape ramp for a standard 5 gallon flat-back bucket.
Here are the materials you will need:
- 5 gallon flat-back bucket.
- 1/2 inch vinyl-coated wire mesh – you will need a 1 foot by 1 foot section. It often comes in rolls 2 feet wide. The vinyl coating is important because the ramp will be underwater and the vinyl provides additional protection.
- Wire cutter / side cutter / scissors – This will be needed to cut out the appropriate size of wire mesh (if necessary).
- A ruler or other straight edge to use for bending the wire mesh along a straight line.
- 1 can of rustoleum or similar spray paint (optional).